Parent Driven Development
Episode 051: Allowances for Parents with Scott Hanselman
Welcome, Scott Hanselman
Scott is a programmer, teacher, and speaker. He works out of his home office in Portland, Oregon for the Web Platform Team at Microsoft. Scott has been blogging for 10 years and enjoys blogging about technology, culture, gadgets, diversity, code, and the web. Scott is excited about community, social equity, media, entrepreneurship and above all, the open web.
02:49 Allowances for kids and parents
- Father of two boys
- The large “A”, and the little “a”
- Partner side-eyeing
- How to make online banking unscrollable
- Sunday cash withdraw
06:01 The mental shift around money
- How much money can you spend without consulting your partner?
08:05 Marriage first, kids second
- Intentionality, goals, visions - what’s the plan?
- Scott’s marital mission statement* - we’re on the same side
10:43 Cash only for allowance
- The feeling money brings
- Teaching our children the value of the dollar
- Greenlight APP - mock debit card
- Spend, save, give
16:15 Allowance $$$ amounts
- Required chores, that you don’t get paid for!
- Scott’s perspective around allowance vs. chores
- Teaching the kids how not to be a bad roommate
17:50 Should parents incentivized tasks for the kids
- Spread the effort - rotate chores
- Having the kids contribute
- Perception management - to teach our kids the value of a dollar
23:45 Family commitments as roommates and peers
- Context switching with parenting
24:16 Genius / fail moments
- Chris’s son, 3-year-old, tunes into Disney Plus only to watch a movie that is terrifying to him #fail
- Arit’s daughter as a mishap with potty training #fail
- Scott tries to show his kids movie classics, but #fails by choosing the wrong ones, on the otherside Scott and his family are doing a deep dive of American History inspired by current events #genius
- Allison has a #genius when her kids create and play Ice Cube games to keep themselves entertained
### How can I support the podcast?
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
Support us via Patreon and get access to our our Slack Community!
Hey parents, whether you are going back to school or learning from home, the Preschool Box is here to help!
The Preschool Box is all about helping children unlock their potential by making learning FUN!
Each month, The Preschool Box will send you a box packed full of engaging and educational activities with a focus on reading and math skills that will prepare your little one for success in school. It’s AMAZING!
These monthly “work at your own pace” activities encourage learning, reading, and creativity in kiddos ages 3-6 and each box has an array of hands on activities, crafts, and worksheets -- which you can structure to match your child’s pace and level of development!
And the best part is that every box has a set of focus skills so each month you get new and exciting material to work on!
The work you do at home NOW with your kids is SO important for their future!
Let The Preschool Box help you and your child have fun learning together!
Head over right now to:
and use code "PARENTDRIVEN" to get $5 off your first preschool box!