Parent Driven Development
Sponsored by: The Preschool Box & Nurture Life
Episode 046: Mike McQuaid on paternity leave, Balancing Dad Podcast, and raising kids in different countries.
03:08 Welcome Mike McQuaid!
Mike McQuaid is a father of two and lives and works in Edinburgh, Scotland. He is a senior engineer at Github where he’s worked for the last six years. In his free time, Mike is the package leader for the Homebrew package manager. He also likes going to the gym, walking his dog and hosting the Balancing Dad Podcast for working fathers.
03:40 Paternity leave
- Split time paternity leave (aka, you can break up your paid leave)
- Utilizing quarantine time to potty train
07:52 Mike on Balancing Dad Podcast
- Gender roles can creep in easily during transitioning into new parents
- Women are asked more, “how do you do it all,” but men are not..
- Allison shares how society pushes relationships to not be equal
15:35 Mike shares a better future is possible!
- Listing both parents on kids forms, or switching who is listed as primary contact.
18:32 What has Mike learned for hosting Balancing Dad Podcast?
- No matter the country, finances, age, relationship, all parents share a universal bond at the foundation
20:18 Culture difference with raising kids in different countries
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Diaper vs. nappies
- Scotland is very friendly to kids
- Different ways of being a parent and share with other parents
27:30 Worldly talks with our kids
- Traveling around the world with kids
- Discussing computer friends from around the world helps expanding cultural knowledge
- Remote work flexibility and setting boundaries with work
31:20 How does Mike manage all he does?!
- Firm boundaries
- No work or open source emails on his phone
- Work days are carved out and scheduled for certain things
- Setting expectations for certain projects
- Making things good enough, not perfect
32:20 Genius / Fail moments
- Chris was in a bit of a hurry with his son in the car and he picked up Chris getting agitated with other drivers and kept repeating “move cars, stop going so slow”. #fail
- Allison rocks a #genius with her son Devin and showcases his “Devin’s agreements” above the fireplace
- Mike slowly becomes frustrated with his younger son, while his older one sits and waits for a fork to eat, only to have him notice way after the fact... #fail
- Mike uses the phrase “just this once” and realizes that it will never be just this once ;)
Follow & Support
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
Support us via Patreon and get access to our our Slack Community.
Hey parents, we know you may be stuck at home with the kids right now and looking for ways to keep them actively engaged and learning. The Preschool Box is here to help!
The Preschool Box is all about helping children unlock their potential by making learning FUN!
Each month, The Preschool Box will send you a box packed full of engaging and educational activities with a focus on reading and math skills that will prepare your little one for success in school. It’s AMAZING!
These monthly “work at your own pace” activities encourage learning, reading, and creativity in kiddos ages 3-6 and each box has an array of hands on activities, crafts, and worksheets -- which you can structure to match to your child’s pace and level of development!
And the best part is that every box has a set of focus skills so each month you get new and exciting material to work on!
The work you do at home NOW with your kids is SO important for their future!
Let The Preschool Box help you and your child have fun learning together!
Head over right now to: thepreschoolbox.com and use code "PARENTDRIVEN" to get $5 off your first preschool box!
The kids are home, you’re at home, and everybody has to eat.
Nurture Life provides nutritious, ready-to-eat meals for the whole family delivered fresh right to your door each week. Meals are portioned by age and designed specifically to meet the nutrient-needs of your child, so everyone from your 10 month old to your 18 year old can continue to eat well and stay healthy as we stay inside.
With a focus on organic veggies, lean antibiotic- and hormone-free proteins and whole grains, Nurture Life meals offer balanced nutrition that kids actually like. From Mac & Cheese with Cauliflower to Teriyaki Salmon with Rainbow Veggie Rice, each meal sets a new standard for what kids food should be.
Nurture Life just launched the option for a one-time purchase, which allows you to purchase a box without signing up for a subscription. A great option to send a box to a loved one and spare them a trip to the grocery store! You can also sign up for weekly deliveries that start at just $39, and build your own box to select the right mix of meals for your family. Skip weeks or cancel anytime to fit your ever changing needs and schedule.
Get the best meals for your kids and family delivered right to your door—available for every zip code across the contiguous United States. Take 25% off your first Nurture Life order with code PARENTDRIVEN. Visit nurturelife.com to learn more.