Parent Driven Development
Episode 046: Mike McQuaid on paternity leave, Balancing Dad Podcast, and raising kids in different countries.
03:08 Welcome Mike McQuaid!
Mike McQuaid is a father of two and lives and works in Edinburgh, Scotland. He is a senior engineer at Github where he’s worked for the last six years. In his free time, Mike is the package leader for the Homebrew package manager. He also likes going to the gym, walking his dog and hosting the Balancing Dad Podcast for working fathers.
03:40 Paternity leave
- Split time paternity leave (aka, you can break up your paid leave)
- Utilizing quarantine time to potty train
07:52 Mike on Balancing Dad Podcast
- Gender roles can creep in easily during transitioning into new parents
- Women are asked more, “how do you do it all,” but men are not..
- Allison shares how society pushes relationships to not be equal
15:35 Mike shares a better future is possible!
- Listing both parents on kids forms, or switching who is listed as primary contact.
18:32 What has Mike learned for hosting Balancing Dad Podcast?
- No matter the country, finances, age, relationship, all parents share a universal bond at the foundation
20:18 Culture difference with raising kids in different countries
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Diaper vs. nappies
- Scotland is very friendly to kids
- Different ways of being a parent and share with other parents
27:30 Worldly talks with our kids
- Traveling around the world with kids
- Discussing computer friends from around the world helps expanding cultural knowledge
- Remote work flexibility and setting boundaries with work
31:20 How does Mike manage all he does?!
- Firm boundaries
- No work or open source emails on his phone
- Work days are carved out and scheduled for certain things
- Setting expectations for certain projects
- Making things good enough, not perfect
32:20 Genius / Fail moments
- Chris was in a bit of a hurry with his son in the car and he picked up Chris getting agitated with other drivers and kept repeating “move cars, stop going so slow”. #fail
- Allison rocks a #genius with her son Devin and showcases his “Devin’s agreements” above the fireplace
- Mike slowly becomes frustrated with his younger son, while his older one sits and waits for a fork to eat, only to have him notice way after the fact... #fail
- Mike uses the phrase “just this once” and realizes that it will never be just this once ;)
Follow & Support
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
Support us via Patreon and get access to our our Slack Community.
Hey parents, whether you are going back to school or learning from home, the Preschool Box is here to help!
The Preschool Box is all about helping children unlock their potential by making learning FUN!
Each month, The Preschool Box will send you a box packed full of engaging and educational activities with a focus on reading and math skills that will prepare your little one for success in school. It’s AMAZING!
These monthly “work at your own pace” activities encourage learning, reading, and creativity in kiddos ages 3-6 and each box has an array of hands on activities, crafts, and worksheets -- which you can structure to match your child’s pace and level of development!
And the best part is that every box has a set of focus skills so each month you get new and exciting material to work on!
The work you do at home NOW with your kids is SO important for their future!
Let The Preschool Box help you and your child have fun learning together!
Head over right now to:
and use code "PARENTDRIVEN" to get $5 off your first preschool box!
Parents everywhere are going through so much stress and uncertainty right now. It’s hard to find sources of relief nowadays. This is why we are Parent Driven Development love Nurture Life.
Nurture Life provides nutritious, ready-to-eat meals for babies starting at 10 months old, toddlers, kids, and teens, delivered fresh right to your door. Meals are designed to meet the nutrient and portion needs for each age group, and are developed by Nurture Life’s registered dietitians and chefs.
Meals are focused on organic produce, antibiotic- and hormone-free proteins and whole grains, and offer a FULL serving of veggies in every meal. Nurture Life has recently launched new and exciting meals, such as the Chicken, sweet potato, & waffle finger food for babies and the Butter Chicken with Peas, Rice, & Mini Naan for toddlers, kids, & Teens. In addition to these new offerings, there will also be additional meals that will be available on the menu for a limited time period to continue to provide innovative, flavorful and unique meals options for families.
Nurture Life easy subscription model allows you to sign up for weekly deliveries, skip weeks, or pause your subscription whenever you want. You can build your own box to select the right mix of meals for your family by age group, dietary restrictions, and allergies.
Get the best meals for your kids and family delivered right to your door—available for every zip code across the contiguous United States. Get 30% off your first TWO Nurture Life orders with code PARENTDRIVEN30.
Visit nurturelife.com to redeem and find a moment of relief when it comes to meal time.