About this Episode
Parent Driven Development
66: Finding a new job during the pandemic.
Welcome, Jean Hsu!
Jean Hsu is a writer, coach, and software engineer turned leadership coach after working for a decade in Silicon Valley. She is the VP of engineering at Range Labs and Co-founder of Co Leadership, which focuses on filling the gaps in leadership development in the tech industry. Jean doesn’t miss writing code, but she does miss deleting it.
0:53 Finding a new job during the pandemic
- Desire strikes for leadership
- The hiring process
5:20 How did the pandemic change your thought process
- Intentionality of specific desires - management, leadership, flexibility
- Enjoying the journey rather than letting comparison or stress take over
7:30 What would Jean do differently now?
- Finding ways to lean into async communication with a remote team in different time zones, while keeping the team engaged and connected with each other
- Hybrid mix of in-person and remote is the future for companies
13:13 Pre-pandemic commute tales
- Feels like a different lifetime
15:40 New expectations for Range during the pandemic
- Getting rid of the 9-5; windowed work with colored labels
- Core hours for team meetings
- Setting boundaries
19:40 Genius and fail moments
- KWu closed her son’s fingers between a door hinge… #fail
- Allison’s daughter turns 3 and shines at her yearly doctor's appointment. #genius
- Jean downloaded TikTok and discovered the best parenting hack to tell your kids to do a task, rather than ask. #genius
- Chris brings back his daughter's love of Star Wars. #genius
How can I support the podcast?
Please follow us @parentdrivendev on Twitter or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.