Parent Driven Development
Episode 054: How to Manage Your Tech Career With Kids
01:17 How do personal priorities and desired job circumstances change?
- Flexibility + time off
- Managing parents during emergencies
- Building resilience within a company
08:18 Chaos monkey
- Applying the method to people
- Setting quality expectations that everyone agrees on
10:45 Benefits are important
- Healthcare, dental care, infertility, adoption, etc…
12:46 Perceiving direct reports from a manager perspective about what parents really care about
- Salary should fit one's needs, they aren’t worried if their kids need braces
- What employees care about matters!
- Managers syncing up for 1:1 calls is essential
- Standing meetings
17:30 Time management
- Planning interruptions as a parent
- Coding flow
- Essential reminders
- Working nights and weekends by choice
27:57 Genius / fail moments
- Chris Arcand hacked his three-year-old sleep with a soothing sound bath #genius
- Chris Sexton’s son is a Scout and had to tackle the virtual retreat by sleeping in the yard for one week to mimic the real thing. Quarantine win #genius
How can I support the podcast?
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
Support us via Patreon and get access to our our Slack Community!