About this Episode
Parent Driven Development
Episode 055: Jambo Books
02:22 Welcome, Mijha Godfrey!
Mijha Godfrey is the founder of Jambo Books. Jambo, which means both “hello” and “welcome” in Swahili, is a book subscription service for children aged 0 – 13 where all the books feature lead characters who are children of color. The stories in Jambo Books focus on the beauty of childhood, the joys of friendship and family, the thrill of new adventures, the wonderful tapestry that is the life of a child of color.
Mijha is passionate about helping parents raise children who won’t need to be taught how to tolerate people who are different from themselves because they will expect and enjoy healthy inclusion.
04:04 The importance of a diverse library
- Not letting experience resonate in only trauma or holiday
05:25 When should parents start showcasing different representations in their community to their children?
- Yesterday.. aka ASAP, as young as infants
- Race is recognized from an early age and the earlier exposure the better
- Showcasing universal things all children go through, not just culturally recognized celebrations
- Normalizing life experience of children of color
09:32 Jambo celebrates all representations
- Books are a gentle gateway
- Letting children of color know that they belong in all spaces
13:40 How do you choose books for Jambo?
- All books sent out are fiction
- Must star a child of color
- Has to be a good story, impactful
15:45 How do you introduce the ideas in the books to your children?
- Confront stereotypes head on!
- Can I touch your hair?
19:40 What push back have you experienced?
- Standing strong in their mission
24:20 Tips for book storage?
- More shelves!
- Recycle and pass forward books in the community
26:15 Genius / fail moments
- KWu's son turned 3! Yayy.. but feeling guilty that she is a couple years behind on the yearly photo albums. #fail
- Allison's daughter boy-cots her virtual doctors appointment, her son zips off virtual kindergarten and chaos is all happening at once! #fail
- Arit's daughters nails a technical aspect of potty training. #genius
- Mijha's daughter reads a book that sparks a racail conversation on a playdate. History well learned, but not wanting to her daughter to do the race work #winfail
How can I support the podcast?
Please follow us @parentdrivendev on Twitter or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
Support us via Patreon and get access to our our Slack Community!
Parents everywhere are going through so much stress and uncertainty right now. It’s hard to find sources of relief nowadays. This is why we are Parent Driven Development love Nurture Life.
Nurture Life provides nutritious, ready-to-eat meals for babies starting at 10 months old, toddlers, kids, and teens, delivered fresh right to your door. Meals are designed to meet the nutrient and portion needs for each age group, and are developed by Nurture Life’s registered dietitians and chefs.
Meals are focused on organic produce, antibiotic- and hormone-free proteins and whole grains, and offer a FULL serving of veggies in every meal. Nurture Life has recently launched new and exciting meals, such as the Chicken, sweet potato, & waffle finger food for babies and the Butter Chicken with Peas, Rice, & Mini Naan for toddlers, kids, & Teens. In addition to these new offerings, there will also be additional meals that will be available on the menu for a limited time period to continue to provide innovative, flavorful and unique meals options for families.
Nurture Life easy subscription model allows you to sign up for weekly deliveries, skip weeks, or pause your subscription whenever you want. You can build your own box to select the right mix of meals for your family by age group, dietary restrictions, and allergies.
Get the best meals for your kids and family delivered right to your door—available for every zip code across the contiguous United States. Get 30% off your first TWO Nurture Life orders with code PARENTDRIVEN30.
Visit nurturelife.com to redeem and find a moment of relief when it comes to meal time.