Parent Driven Development
Episode 022: Single Parenting
00:46 Single parenting is becoming more common...
- ... but events can feel ostracizing.
- Logistics are hard to navigate.
- There are full-time and half-time single parents.
04:06 It takes a village
- Having a support system. (Friends, neighbors, family members)
- Non-nuclear families / modern family situations.
10:55 Dating as a single parent
- Introducing kids to significant others.
- When is it appropriate?
- When kids do/don't get attached to partners.
21:27 Challenges and eases of single parenting
- Drama: engaging and avoiding.
- Making decisions solo vs with someone else.
- Holding onto resentment/anger/confusion/disappointment towards the other parent.
- Questions from kids as they get older.
- Sometimes you just want to quit!
35:15 Supporting single parents
- Talk to them.
- Don't ask intrusive questions.
- Don't assume single parents live off of child support.
- Just don't assume, period.
39:43 Genius / Fail Moments
- Mandy: Her daughter made sure she had Christmas presents. (#Genius)
- Allison: Her son specifically wants to donate to a hospital on a beach that helps Jewish boys with broken bones that are healing. (#Genius)
- Jess: Took her son's stuffed animal on adventures because he forgot him at home. (#Genius)
- KWu: Her son is trying awesome new foods and less than 50% ends up on the floor! (#Genius)
Follow & Support
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
Support us via Patreon and get access to our our Slack Community.