Parent Driven Development
Episode 035: Summer Vacations
00:35 Summer vacationing as a kid vs. adult
- The hosts reflect back on their experience of summer vacation as a child vs. what their kids experience now.
- How much do kids actually remember on these family vacations?
- Loads and loads of driving!!
06:52 Flying vs. driving
- The views!
- You can either see more of the places in between or more of the place you’re going to
- What does your family value more?
- Is the classic road trip only nostalgic?
10:20 KWu's travels
- KWu becomes a foodie in Paris!
- Winter ski trips
- KWu thinks it’s a good start to travel domestically before going internationally with her own children
12:06 Involving the kids in travel plans
- Get the ideas of what the kids are actually interested in to make for a better vacation
14:13 Take the kids anyways
- Kids may end up being grumpy anyways, so let's take them along regardless
14:50 Older kids remember more
- Super rewarding as a parent to hear positive feedback from the kids on a successful vacation
- Playing name that tune on the car ride home - the feeling that may actually last in our kids memories.
17:11 Yearly vacations and sporadic trips
- Chris plans a yearly beach trip with family as the designated time to get together
- Annual cousins week
- Josh’s daughter gets real about wanting to go to new places and experience new things during summer trips
- JC takes the kids on an annual beach trip but mixes it up with locations
20:13 Let your kids bring friends on vacation
- Josh finds success having his daughter bring a friend on a weekend getaway
- Built in play buddies when friends come along
23:01 Sporting events with kids and friends
- Built in getaways with friends
- Typically less drama
- Other parents around to mingle with and relax
23:43 Vacationing with another family
- Allow the kids to be with kids, and adults to be with adults
- Share responsibilities of who is caperoning #parentinghack
- But do the parenting philosophies match up?!
26:50 Different screen time rules
- Josh’s daughter is a mini Zuckerberg while her comrades are a bit behind
- A friend to Chris's kids ican't seem to put his phone away during bowling night
- JC had a TV in the mainroom on a vacation and it became the default daily wind down
29:40 Setting ground rules for phone time before vacations
- Josh’s daughter follow suit and uses her phone for taking pictures
- Assigning family time without phones is best to keep everyone on the same page
33:01 Keeping things fresh during family vacation
- Dice roll for a fresh activities
Some of the best memories come from impulsive detours
34:36 Genius / fail moments
- KWu’s son went out and got eaten by tons of mosquitoes causing so much itching that they eventually bleed Bath time is now a nightmare #fail
- Chris and his wife volunteer to help out a family friend’s twins! He soon realizes the horror of having multiples
- Josh’s daughter has been having loads of sleepovers and he’s been sending a bottle of wine for the watchful parents. Definite notion of being invited back #genius
- JC’s oldest graduated high school, planning for college and is working hard over summer break. #proudparent
Follow & Support
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
Support us via Patreon and get access to our our Slack Community.