Parent Driven Development
Episode 028: Primary Caregiving
00:17 Introducing Guest, Nick Gauthier! Becoming a Full-time Parent
03:55 Being a Full-Time Parent as a Man
- "Aww, you're babysitting!" 🙄
- Experiences with "Mommy and Me" groups and Meetups.
- Feeling instrusive in Mom spaces.
- Breaking into a "Mommy Group".
08:17 Partner Dynamics and Making Decisions
- Getting the scoop and being thankful to not have other parents' problems.
- Liking vs not liking the baby phase.
11:07 Changes as Baby Grows
- Transitioning to a nanny but still working from home.
- When going to work is a "vacation" or an "escape".
- Fielding distractions.
17:11 How Having a Child Has Changed the Way Nick Works
- Working with other parents.
- Context switching and protecting time.
- Asynchronous communication.
24:16 Communication Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Any communication, the normal expected turnaround time is 24 hours; unless in text is says urgent.
- Cell phone calls are last resort, but must be answered.
- Everything is "Do Not Disturb".
- Keep communcation very close to or 100% on topic.
29:06 Team Relationship Building + Watercooler Talk
- Optional "huddles" with no agenda. Explicit watercooler time.
- Company retreats.
31:21 Genius / Fail Moments
- Nick's daughter announced "Oh yeah! Get some beer!" in the middle of the store. (#Fail) But, she is mastering potty training with M&Ms as rewards! (#Genius)
- Chris: M&M inflation. (#Fail) "Scream Parade" on the other hand... (#Genius)
- Allison: Flow picture charts for the morning on what her son needs to do to leave the house 👍🏻. (#Genius)
Follow & Support
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
Support us via Patreon and get access to our our Slack Community.