Parent Driven Development
Episode 027: Fear Mongering and Inducing Panic
Show Background Resources
- Momo challenge: The real victims of the hoax are the parents who believe it
- Momo Is as Real as We’ve Made Her
- A pediatrician exposes suicide tips for children hidden in videos on YouTube and YouTube Kids
01:29 Firsthand Experience?
- Mandy's daughter had no idea about any of this until it was brought to her attention.
03:17 Momo Challenges (maybe?) Explained
06:11 What do we do as parents to protect our kids?
- Do we lock them down from consuming all the media, or do we let them consume it and deal with it?
- Educating our kids and guiding them when things come up.
- Checking in with them during media consumption.
- Being honest.
15:13 History of Moral Panics
- Moral panics happen when young people get involved in something parents just don’t understand.
- Do we, as technologists, have an advantage in understanding better than non-technologists?
22:15 Rules and Boundaries -- Letting Live and Letting Go
- The "But what if?" Mindset
- Age restrictions.
- Ignoring the trolls.
- Tracking/monitoring your child via GPS location.
32:03 What To Do When Things Happen
- Calling authorities.
36:57 Genius / Fail Moments
- Jess: Her son picked up the ukelele! (#Genius)
- JC: Winding down involvement in extracurricular activities. (#Bittersweet)
- Chris: Baseball as a low-pressure team sport. (#Genius)
- Mandy: Her daughter picked up her Mimi's birthday tradition without prompting. (#Adorable)
Follow & Support
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
Support us via Patreon and get access to our our Slack Community.