Parent Driven Development
Episode 012: Traveling with Kids
00:48 The Great Screen Debate
Today's particular panelists are all about screens while traveling as long as it's not detracting from the travel experience. Everyone agrees that screens are a great way to keep kids occupied and quiet.
08:09 Transportation Challenges, Woes, and Genius Tips
- When your kid gets flagged on her first plane ride...
- TSA Pre√ (Worth its weight in gold!!)
- Download shows to devices in advance
- Have a variety of activities (besides screens)
- Hotel Paper & Pens
- ... and a Walkman?
- Building Up Good Will with People Around You: Is it worth bribing others (with chocolate??) and socializing or should they just deal with you traveling with your kiddo(s)?
- Use Car Services like Lyft!
24:25 Transportation + Car Seats (Deserves its own conversation, obviously.)
- Amazon a cheap one + have delivered to your destination then donate when you go home (Pro tip: Do the same thing with diapers!)
- Uber and Lyft have car seat options in select cities
- Renting Car Seats: Yay or Nay?
32:58 On-The-Go Childcare
- Hotel Concierge - Check Yelp Reviews!
- Make sure you know where the closest hospital/urgent care center is
37:46 We're Here. Now What?
- Google "Top 10 things to do in X"
- Use an app like Winnie
39:48 A Round of Helpful Hints and Tricks
- Josh: If possible, get a hotel room with a separate bedroom.
- Mandy: Hotels with pools are delightful. (Especially if your kids can swim on their own.) Also use Uber Eats for food delivery to the hotel if going out is undesirable.
- Chris: Pizza chains will deliver to hotel pools for an easy pizza party. Great for traveling sports teams!
- Allison: Bring a roll of duct tape and use a taller chair on the side of the bed to act as a bedrail.
- Andy: Aluminum foil and a sponge!
43:42 Genius / Fail Moments
- Allison: MilkStork: A breast milk shipping company when you're away from your infant.
- Andy: Andy's son offered his teddy bear to a friend in need!
- Chris: Playing Mario Kart on the Nintendo Wii as a family activity to teach good sportsmanship and kindness.
- Mandy: Staying on the boardwalk part of the beach on the ground level. Also, if you do a lot of traveling, save up points! Mandy uses Marriott Rewards to get free nights in select hotels for summer vacation fun!
Follow & Support
Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
Support us via Patreon and get access to our our Slack Community.