Parent Driven Development
Episode 015: On-Call Schedules
00:20 Welcome, Alyson van Hardenberg!
Alyson is a Software Engineer at Honeycomb and the mother of two boys.
02:41 Pager or Baby? Which do you choose?
It was a non-issue for Alyson. One of Honeycomb's managers, before even hiring Alyson, said that she'd take Alyson's pager during "off-duty" hours as an added responsibility. They'll check in and reevaluate when her son is one.
- Equal does not mean fair across teams.
05:07 Having On-Call Schedule Discussions
- Special Accommodations
- Scheduling Around On-Call Time
- On-Call Parenting vs On-Call Job-ing
- Working Remotely and Boundaries Around Work
11:33 Living Your Life On-Call
- Doubling Up In Pairs
- Escalation Policies
- On-Call Onboarding Processes
- Handling Outings On-Call
22:46 On-Call Team Expectations
- Triage vs Fixing
26:04 On-Call Stories & Experiences
31:26 Hours of Coverage
- 6PM - 9PM = The Worst Parenting Hours
33:46 Results of the 1-Year Check-in and Thoughts on Physical Pagers vs PagerDuty
### 37:07 Genius / Fail Moments
- KWu: Taking time off from work, but still having the nanny come. (#Genius)
- Josh: Introduced the Twilight movies to his daughter. (#Fail)
- Alyson: Taking a Ziplock bag of snacks on long trips. (#Genius)
Follow & Support
Please follow us @parentdrivendev on Twitter or email us at email@example.com. Our website is at ParentDrivenDevelopment.com.
We are listener supported. Please consider Supporting us via Patreon and gaining access to our our kind Slack Community.